An incident involving the collapse of a canopy roof structure is in the process of installation in a complex took place at about 11.00 am, 2 February 2015 in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Few construction workers involve with the installation work were injured and 1 was reportedly died in hospital. The incident also led to the canopy roof structure was badly damaged and anchors to building concrete structure were broken and pulled out.
The root cause of the of the canopy roof structure collapse are identified due to several factors such as:
- Misinterpretation of the canopy roof structure design;
- Information in the construction drawings was not adequate;
- Anchor bolt could not support the weight of the structure;
- Anchor bolt is not sufficient to bear applied load;
- The size and depth of the bolt is not sufficient to bear applied load;
- Installation of the anchor does not meet the criteria of safe installation procedure;
- Materials used for the construction are substandard;
- Low quality of construction work caused by the connection cannot achieve the maximum reliability;
- Concrete compression strength is lower than the required design strength.