Fatal Accident Involving A Luffing Crane
In May 2011, there was a fatal accident involving a luffing crane at a construction site in Kuala Lumpur. The accident caused two fatalities when the main boom of the crane fell and crashed on them. During the accident, the crane were hoisting 2 tonnes of building material load and the competent crane operator was in the process of luffing up the boom. It was established that the main boom went out of control when it stalled and came down slowly during the luffing up operation before it started to fall down suddenly. The main boom lattice structure was badly bent and teared off completely from the boom butt welding connections as a result of the accident. Also the luffing wire-rope had completely unwound from the winch and snapped at its terminal connection which was on the side of one of the flanges for the winch. The luffing winch drum arrangement had also shifted from the original position from the impact of the total collapse of the main boom.
Safety Measures :
- Clear written procedure, instruction and guidance as per crane specifications have to be prepared and given to the workers who are carrying out the refurbishment works on the main and safety components of the crane.
- The company which undertakes the refurbishment of the winches, main driven components and safety mechanisms of the tower crane has to ensure that such works are carried out only by trained, skilled and experienced workers.
- During the refurbishment works the workers have to be properly supervised under the charge of a senior supervisor or engineer.
- The company shall conduct thorough inspection and examination on each of the key components of the crane to ensure that they have been properly carried out as per job instruction.The results of such examination and testing have to be recorded and kept for the inspection and examination of the authority when requested.
- The load indicator has to be re-calibrated at the completion of every installation work for the crane at the job-site to ensure its correct setting and safe operation.