Roof structure of a stadium, which being cut for demolition has collapsed in Terengganu resulting in injuries to five persons. Figure 1 shows the condition of the roof structure after the accident.
Figure 1. Panoramic view of the roof structure after the accident.
Recommendations for improvement:
- Demolition of buildings or engineering structures shall comply with the requirements of Factory and Machinery (Building Operations and Works of Engineering Construction) (Safety) Regulations.
- Demolition works should refer to the Malaysian Standard - MS 2318:2012: Demolition of buildings - Code of practice (first revision) as long as they are not inconsistent with legal requirements.
- The contractor shall provide a comprehensive work plan which includes method statement for the demolition that consist of the following (but not limited to):
- Location plan
- Existing building information
- The layout of the building
- Demolition procedure and sequence of operation
- Precautionary measures
- Debris Handling
- Special safety consideration
- Post-demolition arrangement.
- The method statement shall be reviewed and certified by professional engineer.
- Any amendment on method statement as proposed by the demolition contractor shall be referred to the professional engineer and this amendment shall be recorded, reviewed and re-certified.
- Any demolition work shall be carried out by demolition contractor registered with the Construction Industry Development Board, Malaysia.