DOSH wraps up checks, building sites to face action - The Star Online
The Star Online, 31 March 2019
MELAKA: The Department of Occupational Safety and Health (DOSH) has inspected 20 construction sites in the state during its month-long operation, which ended recently.
State DOSH director Dr Rabaayah Daud said a total of 150 punitive actions were issued to errant contractors in the Cegah Runtuh Cegah Jatuh operations which started on Feb 25.
She said the punitive actions consisted of 27 letters of instruction, 31 notices of improvement and 46 notices of prohibition while 46 work activities were seized during the period.
“We are preparing 29 investigation papers for prosecution and compounds against contractors who failed to comply with the rules and regulations,” she said at the opening of “We Are OSH Leader” programme at Harbour City, Pulau Melaka in Banda Hilir here.
The programme was launched by state Housing, Local Government, Environment and Green Technology Committee chairman Datuk Tey Kok Kiew.
Also present were state DOSH deputy director Mohammad Fadzil Abdul Manap and CCC Harbour City Melaka project manager Zhou Liang.Rabaayah said construction projects, if not managed properly, can pose various risks to employees, the public and properties.
She said 265 occupational accidents which caused eight deaths in various sectors were recorded in the state last year.
“Of that number, 12 accidents occurred at construction sites with five deaths recorded,” she said.
Rabaayah said among the factors that caused workplace accidents were employers’ failure to provide adequate training, lack of safety procedures and personal equipment such as safety footwear and helmets, and no supervision over workers carrying out high-risk jobs.
She said the use of cranes by unauthorised operators, dangerous work platforms and collapsed scaffolding were among the main contributors to occupational accidents in the construction sector.