Apart from all the key activities, the Department was also responsible for:
- Acting as the secretariat and providing input to the National Council for Occupational Safety and Health (NCOSH);
- Conducting technical analysis and identifying the measures to control safety and health hazards at the workplace;
- Preparing the assessment and examination syllabii and conducting examinations for the certification of Competent Persons;
- Conducting the certification process on competent firms and organisations;
- Identifying and reviewing safety and emergency response plans and conducting inspections and audits on major and minor hazardous installations;
- Monitoring health hazards at the workplace; and
- Reviewing reports on the monitoring of health hazard by Competent Persons.