Figure 1. Gondola platform
An incident occurred where a gondola that being used by two workers to clean the building window had fallen from 24 meters height (level 5 or 6) to ground (Figure 1). The workers were injured and were rushed to hospital for treatment.The gondola is a permanent type where the system consists of hoisting motor and drum located on top of the building. The owner is responsible for carrying out a full inspection of every component with control and supervision by competent firm registered with DOSH.
Points to remember when using gondola are:
- Every electrical motor component should be checked each time before the gondola used.
- Brake mounted on the motor shall be compatible and tested at regular intervals.
- Over speed governor on the drum must be in good condition and could functioning when the gondola is moving beyond normal speed.
- Electricity supply from the control panel to the motor system must be tested to ensure adequate electrical power supplied to the motor system.
- Wire rope should be checked to ensure there are no defects on the wire rope which can affect the strength.
- Total load on the gondola must consider the number of employees including the equipment and shall not exceed safe working load.
- Gondola operators shall be supplied with full PPE and fall arrest system.
- Gondola operators shall be given competent training and monitored regularly.